Saturday 10 October 2009

Who Cares?

Do you know one of those days in which you go home from school and your mum asks "So, what did you learn today"? And you go "nothing, same old stuff", or some other answers that carry quite the same meaning. Actually, today I DID learn something at school.
When talking about news, journalism or any other matter that interests you, from drinking games to cricket matches, there is an element that makes a HUGE difference within the communication. It's a simple question: WHO CARES? Answer that, if you can.
No, don't look at me like that, let me explain. Let's suppose for a moment that I am telling you about the situation of violence and brutality that is affecting Tibet; I put all my effort and knowledge to transmit you something I consider important and I reckon you should know; in the end you ask: who cares? and leave me speechless. Or about the major issue of global warming, the last scandal concerning Maradona and so on. If you ask who cares? and I am not able to answer, then communication wouldn't take place, because I simply couldn't attract your attention with what I was saying. In a field such as journalism, attraction is a keypoint; if the journalist can't make his piece attractive for the reader, capture his attention, then he may have written the most relevant things EVER, but if you don't care you won't read it. Good information doesn't last long by itself. In order be transmitted, it has to attract, even to "lure" the reader's attention; this doesn't mean, of course, manipulation. It means that good communication skills are fundamental, for there are many many ways of saying the same thing, and the journalist's job is to find the one you would care to listen to. Who cares then? I do!

1 comment: