Sunday 4 October 2009

Between Carpets, Ivy and Fire Doors

A major step one has to make once moving to the UK, in order to deeply feel a "British" way of living, is that of the house! Living in a real British house is an experience and it takes at least a few days to get really into it and used to it. Yet, after almost two weeks of living here, I am still impressed when i wake up in the morning (like "hey, where am I? ah yeah, that's my room!")

A first thing to take into account is the carpet basically everywhere. every corridor or room has the carpet, which for me personally is nice, as I love to go barefoot. on the other hand, it is rumored that it brings dust, and by the way, it's almost impossible to mop it or wash it in any way! so I guess I'll just have to cope with the vacuum cleaner. I need a big one!

The kitchen is full of devices and appliances that I didnt have in my house down in the Italian countryside: a kettle, a toaster, a couple of rice cookers (which is not that british) and so on. And then of course, the BACKYARD! Passing trough a traditional British door I get to my traditional British backyard, enclosed in a stone wall behind the house. It's not big, but its there, with a traditional British ivy that grows up the fence and the backwall of the house, almost reaching the top floor. It's nice! I wonder wheter it brings humidity inside, though...

Just one thing is a bit annoying, although it's there for safety reasons: a huuuge number of FIRE DOORS! Every few feet there is one, in each corridor. I have to open 4 doors on my way to the loo! man, 4! I know that in case of emergency they'd turn definetely useful, I am aware of that, but still...too many!

Anyway it's quite easy to cope with that aspect, and my knowledge of Britain is growing faster than ever! FIRE DOOR. KEEP SHUT.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. is this your home? the stairs remind me of the ones we had in Bath.... I hope to see more pics :)

    Besos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vane! que honor tu visita en mi esquinita en la red :)
    si, es mi casa, a que mola?! very british..

    ReplyDelete
  4. per il problema dello sporco e della polvere sulla moquette t basta chiamare Swiffer Lapo..perchè sai la polvere non dura perchè Lapo la cattura

    ReplyDelete
  5. james! è un'idea geniale! mi chiedo perchè non ci ho pensato io!

    ReplyDelete